Understanding neurologists and your nervous system
Neurology is a branch of Science that deals with the coordination of nerves around the body. To become a neurologist, you, must specialize in studying neurology. Neurologists are medics who deal with the treatment of health disorders related to the nervous system. It is pretty complex to deal with the nervous system, but neurologists are often well prepared before they get into the field as medics.
The nervous system is divided into two major sections. The central nervous system is more commonly known by many people. It consists of the nerves related to your brain and the spinal cord. Any injury or pain on your Central Nervous System may lead to physical or mental challenges and disorders. The peripheral nervous system is the second division. It entails all neural elements. For instance, the eyes, ears and the tongue constitute the elements of the peripheral nervous system.
Neurologists are interested in the manner through which your body responds to given types of stimuli. For example, when exposed to sunlight, how will your eyes react if you are from the dark? They are also interested in the reactions of individuals and their bodies with respect to being introduced to shock or unexpected stimuli. For example, when you burn your finger accidentally, your nervous system must come up with an immediate response. Additionally, since you had not prepared for that stimulus, it becomes a kind of shock. When subjected to such kinds of stimuli, your brain or nervous system may be affected, leading to physical or mental disorders because your Central Nervous System is affected. Therefore, neurologists try to come up with medical solutions that will cure or improve your condition.
Conditions that neurologists treat
Be not afraid of walking into a health care facility to see a neurologist because in the midst of their strict and grueling schedules, they are friendly and understanding. In fact, they tend to be better social beings as compared to other men. A neurologist can help treat the following conditions in case you need their help:
- First, they deal with neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease. These are complications that alter with your normal functioning because of the conditions of your nervous system. Also, they are inherited from parents to their offspring.
- They also concentrate on cerebrovascular illnesses. These are diseases that affect your brain, such as a stroke.
- Certain demyelinating conditions of your Central Nervous system such as multiple sclerosis interest them.
- Any infection that touches your peripheral or Central Nervous system is in no doubt their specialization.
- Neurologists also attend to Complex headache disorders such as frequent and severe headaches.
- Other disorders that affect your movement, such as Parkinson’s disease and illnesses that affect your speech and language are also of interest to them.
Neurologists do not carry out operations. Instead, they will refer you to a neurosurgeon. There is nothing to be afraid of when your health is in question.
However, being afraid of seeing a neurologist is not a rare situation. I knew a lot of people in my circle who were afraid too. They are frightened because of the results that their specialists might tell them. In this case, if you can’t really find the courage to see one, you might want to get printable doctor’s excuses to cover up your phony reason of seeing one.